S.A.M. (State Accountable Mail) service is very similar to the USPS Certified Mail service. S.A.M. allows you to send mail from one MSC number to another MSC number with a signature.
When addressing S.A.M. mail, please address it just as you would address a regular letter, but attach the S.A.M. card with all of the fields on the card completed. You may request S.A.M. card supplies online.
S.A.M. mail is billed through our Fiscal Office through the Courier Service billing system. The cost for S.A.M. mail is the cost of USPS postage plus $3.50 per piece.
Procedure for Using S.A.M.
- Complete your S.A.M. card properly by completing the back of the S.A.M. card with your Name, Agency and MSC number.
- This card will be mailed back to you with the signature of the person accepting the mail piece upon delivery of your mail.
- Complete all sections: From, Sending Agency Name, To, Receiving Agency Name, and Attn.
- Retain the bottom portion for your records. This section has your tracking number/barcode on the back. Use this number when contacting our Accountable Mail Section to track your mail.
- Separate S.A.M. mail from regular 1st Class Mail, Certified Mail, Interoffice Mail, and Courier Mail.
To track State Accountable Mail (S.A.M.), please contact the Mail Service Center at 919-733-2913.