Frequently Asked Questions About Claims

Q: Can I request to have a family member’s name checked in the N.C. Eugenics Board records?
N.C. Eugenics Board program records that contain the names of individuals are confidential. In order to verify whether an individual was sterilized under the N.C Eugenics Board program’s authority, you must have permission from that individual and submit a claim form to the N.C. Office of Justice for Sterilization Victims, along with the documentation specified on the form. You may not coerce or force an individual to share or expose their medical history.
Q: If I believe I was a victim of the N.C. Eugenics Board program, can my name be released against my will?
No. The Office understands that some individuals do not want to reopen the history of their sterilization, all requests must be submitted by the person who believes that he/she may have been impacted by the N.C. Eugenics Board program or by a person who has permission from the person who may have been impacted to verify this information. The court documents requested on the request forms provide proof to the office staff that you have permission to verify the Eugenics records on another’s behalf.
Q: Do I need to include all of the requested information on the Claim Form?
You need to provide as much information as you can remember on the Claim Form. Office staff understand that some of this information may be unknown or difficult to recall over time. Providing as much information as possible will help quicken the process and reduce the chances of incorrect identity matches.
Q: When will compensation be paid?
You may find information about compensation in General Statute § 143B-426.50, Eugenics Compensation Program.

Under Session Law 2013-360, the Industrial Commission is responsible for administering hearings to determine who is eligible for compensation.
The Industrial Commission is collaborating with the North Carolina Office of Justice for Sterilization Victims to ensure proper administration of 
General Statute § 143B-426.50.(a). Where can I find information from the N.C. Industrial Commission?

You may find information on their website at

To view the entire General Statute § 143B-426, please visit the NC General Assembly website.